Skip to main content

Starting big school.

Hello there,
how we all doing? Me, I'm feeling a bit of an emotional wreck tbh, few days away from going back to school and my middle Child (Georgina) is going up to Secondary (high) school, which leaves me feeling all the emotions. I thought I'd write a blog post to debunk everything I'm thinking and feeling, I think a lot of Parents can relate.

Firstly where on earth have the last 11 years gone? Have I woken up from a very long sleep? I really have no blinking clue as to where the years have gone and frankly I am far too scared to blink incase I jump forward a few more years... wow it really does go so fast huh? it's true what they say about time goes fast when you're having fun!

So very proud.
Anyway, apart from feeling like I've been in some sort of deep sleep and skipped ahead a few years (felt like this with my Son too, he is now in yr9) I am also feeling very proud of the young woman my Daughter is becoming, she is gaining so much more in confidence, she is a shy girl but coming out of her shell more, she is starting to speak up more, where as before she wouldn't express herself much and stayed quiet in the back ground. Now she has found her voice and will communicate her thoughts and feelings, ideas and her creativity a lot more freely, especially in her last few months at primary school, and also with friends & family. She is funny & witty and she's thoughtful and ever so sweet. She is amazing (glee) I couldn't be prouder of the woman she is growing into be.

Feeling positive.
Both Georgina and myself are feeling really positive about this huge milestone, we (mostly G) are so lucky that Our school do a 4 day experience before the end of school, so she really got a taste of what it'll be like at big school, she absolutely loved it and has made a few new friends already, so we are feeling very positive that she will settle in quickly when she starts next week. I think also because she has her big Bro there too it helps heaps as she has come to events at the school and also it's her primary school feeder school and they often do different events for the kids to go to at primary, like maths quiz or sporty events.

Anxious.
To those that haven't read my previous blog posts, I suffer from anxiety and its quite frankly very frustrating, I am feeling so many emotions but mostly all just positive but then anxiety kicks in and puts a huge crazy spin cycle on it all, but that said, I am extremely aware of not showing any of my over worried, paranoid state of mind, even though my Daughter may express her excitement and positivity about starting her new school, We all remember how nervous we felt and intimidating it all was, we were the big kids and now we are the little ones again being one of them. My Daughter does not need to know about my over active imagination of all the things that could (wouldn't) happen on the walk to school, at school, walk home from school or on the playground, nope just my stupid anxiety filled brain, playing the big guy who knows it all.  Well it doesn't! Mumma (or pappa) knows best huh? Our children are resilient, tenacious and we worry far too much and we need to breath and let them spread their beautiful wings. They've got This!

Tears.
Tears of joy, happiness and tears of "my baby is growing up" how did you feel seeing your Child in their new school uniform for the first time? I felt every emotion going within those first few seconds of seeing my Daughter, I felt sad that she's growing up, I felt happy but a little sad at how grown up she looked, I felt pride in how smart she looked, I felt joy in how excited she was. I felt extrememely lucky and blessed to have this amazing miracle in my life.

Omg, how much?
So how about the price for everything? Think a lot of us have had to remorgage our houses and sell a kidney to pay for everything our Child/ren needs for school, and we all thought primary school was expensive eh?
So we needed a blazer £30, blouses 2 pack for £24 x 2, 2 skirts for £24 each then P.E top £18, skort £16, P.E socks £6.50 then we needed a new bag £18, shoes £44 trainers £28 stationary £20 (for everything, calculator, pens etc) lunch box £3 (she has a big Tupperware box so it doesnt get squashed) tights £10. Think that's it... not got her hoodie for p.e yet which is about £25 and joggers £15 and her school jumper will be bought towards end of Autumn ready for Winter £15 (I think) so on top of my Son needing mostly everything new I am well and truly spent out, it's much more expensive buying the girls uniform but I am so relieved my youngest has her sisters old uniform and hers still fits too so only needed a few bits like shoes, pumps, bag and lunch bag for her as well as blouses. It's expensive this school shopping lark eh? How well did you do with the school shop? It is really stressful sometimes, especially for those on a lower income, and especially if like me you've also had to get a lot of new clothes because the Children think now is the right time to grow (not that they can actually decide on that) I really hope it hasn't been overly stressful for you all.

Good luck.
I want to say good luck to not only my Daughter, but to your Children and also to us parents/guardians too, it's been an adventure through nursery and then primary school and now it's time to start this new adventure, new chapter in not only our Children's lives but ours too. So GOOD LUCK! You have totally got this!!

Thank you so much for reading my ramblings. Please leave a comment on how you feel/felt about your adventure yourself and with your Child/ren and any other thoughts and feelings over it all.

Ta ta for now

J x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogtober #4

Giving birth to a huge baby. Day 4 of  Blogtober I thought in today's post I would write about the birth of my youngest child (now 10 years old) Isabella, she was a hefty weight, not at all your average baby weight, although I have heard of much bigger babies being born (my eyes sting at that thought) so here is my story of how my beautiful little girl entered the world. Before I begin, I would like to say that I kept telling midwives I was carrying an elephant inside me, they would say she is only going to be about 1 lb bigger than my older two children's birth weights (8lb 6oz & 8lb 7oz) I had SPD (where the ligaments over stretch in the pelvis, causing a lot of pain) I was depressed as I could hardly do anything, the pain was immense, I used to cry whenever I needed to get up out of my bed to go to the loo, (which was often, babies like using our bladder as a trampoline) I would literally crawl to the bathroom, the midwives just said they couldn't

Blogtober fail!

I failed! I am so very sorry, I have completely failed at blogtober, I was so determined to do it, but so not prepared, I had technology issues and Wi-Fi (changed provider) being down, and thinking I can easily write a post each day, add in a college course and a family & home to take care of, I failed, and I am so very sorry to all of you for that, next year I shall be prepared, I shall be organised as I have learned so much from other bloggers and from myself so next time I shall have most of it written and ready to go, instead of writing on the day. Makes sense really doesn't it? I haven't been blogging long and it really shows with this, although this is how you learn to do things, from mistakes and advice. I just want to say a big thank you for your kind messages checking if I am ok, for your patience and understanding over me not uploading new blogtober posts, big thank you for reading my previous posts and I will be posting more posts just not daily at t

Blogtober #5

Harvest festival. Today I was inspired to write this post, as tomorrow Isabella's (Daughter) school is having a harvest festival assembly, so I was inspired to talk to you about food banks. Food banks are so essential for so many people, more than you could imagine have to use them, people who you would assume would have a good wage coming in from their jobs like Nurses for instance, so many Nurses are struggling to make ends meet, it is so heartbreaking that such kind, caring and selfless people like Nurses are struggling as much as they do, also hard working families who are working so much to the point of exhaustion, yet sadly struggle to get by once bills are paid, parents going hungry to make sure their children get a meal, its a desperate time for a lot of people, and not just around harvest festival and Christmas time, this is every day of every week. This is where you, me and anyone else out there can help, there are so many food bank collections out ther